The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Akinwunmi Adesina , say that the National Programme on Food Security (NPFS) is still on course and has not been scrapped as reported.
“The NPFS is the flagship programme on food security and cannot be scrapped as it is relevant to government’s plan of growing the size of the present agricultural sector to over 300 billion dollars by 2030,” Adesina told newsmen on Sunday in Abuja.
“The NPFS is still on course; the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and other donor agencies are fully involved in the programme.
“The activities and the agreement we reached are still on and we have to abide by it by respecting our obligations.
“NPFS is a programme of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and all the activities under the programme are still relevant, but there is modification on the programme.”
According to him, the successful implementation of the second phase of the programme in 2007 led to its sustainability.
He said the success prompted government to increase the number of sites from 109 to 327 in the 36 states of the federation and FCT.
He noted that Borno state which had earlier backed out of the programme had rejoined.
Adesina further noted that following a review of all the food security programmes of the ministry, President Goodluck Jonathan directed that the NPFS should not stand alone, but be mainstreamed back into the Ministry, under the Department of Rural Development.
He said based on this directive, government cut down on overheads to reduce wastage of resources.
He, however, stressed that all the components of the programme were still intact with the full involvement of the FAO, AfDB, Islamic Development Bank and Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa (BADIA).
Adesina said the programme would terminate by 2014 as against the earlier duration date of 2012.